One of the leading intellectual property firms in the UK and Europe is growing its prestigious team of professionals with the creation of a new role, Head of IP Support. This firm is renowned for its excellent reputation and distinguished professional expertise.
This is a varied and vital role that entails overseeing over twenty employees spanning numerous roles. Various teams will report to you regarding the handling of patent and trademark formalities. The role may also include overseeing other specialist roles, all whilst working within an energetic and expanding team.
Within this role, you will have a broad variety of responsibilities such as directing and managing all IP support staff and overseeing the work of paralegals, as well as documenting and formalities processes, assisting with the development of systems and helping to assimilate new team members. Further duties consist of reporting daily to equity partners and interfacing support staff and partners.
This versatile and dynamic role offers a brilliant opportunity to advance your career in IP.
If you’re a highly organised leader who can effectively and efficiently cover a variety of duties, as well as having excellent verbal and written communication skills as liaising and maintaining daily communication with support staff, paralegals and fee earners is vital, then this is the perfect opportunity for you.
- Directing and managing all IP support staff
- Managing the formalities operation and making recommendations for its staffing – there are currently four formalities service groups: European Grant and Address for Service, Docketing, Names and New Orders, International, Renewals/CPA Global Liaison
- Overseeing the work of paralegals in the Assignments and Search teams
- Overseeing the work of paralegals within the fee earning groups
- Guiding the paralegals within their roles, ensuring job satisfaction and encouraging efficient and consistent practices
- Defining what activities each team should be handling as well as their interfacing with other teams
- Helping to document formalities processes (with the assistance of the firm’s Process Improvement Coordinator) assisting with control, systems development, and assimilating new team members
- Acting as an interface between IP support personnel and fee earners
- Reporting daily to an Equity Partner on Management Committee
- Providing a monthly report to the Management Committee
- Liaising with colleagues throughout the firm
- Developing good working relationships with the firm’s partners and with the heads of the various business support functions
The Head of IP Support will be supported by a Formalities Supervisor, who will deputise for the Head of IP Support in aspects of their role, as well as handling a personal workload within the formality’s operation.
- Ability to prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to self-manage
- A willingness to adapt to the firm’s culture
- An aptitude for process analysis and improvement
- Essential to have some familiarity with patent and trademark prosecution and the related processes – this could have been gained in a senior IP support role in a private practice firm or as part of the in-house IP function of a corporate organisation
- Competence in using IT systems to implement business processes (Inprotech)
For more information about this opening, please contact Lee Townsend for a confidential chat.
Alternatively, if this role does not sound right for you, please check our website or give or call us to hear about our other opportunities. If you are looking to develop your career further, needing salary advice or just fancy a chat about your future, we are here for you.
G2 Legal is a legal recruitment company recruiting in Central London. Visit our website for more jobs or contact Lee Townsend on 0207 649 9298 today.
For more information about this role and to apply, please contact Lee Townsend at G2 Legal on 0207 649 9298 or forward an up to date copy of your CV.
PQE, years of experience and salary levels are shown purely as a guide. We will consider applications from candidates that can demonstrate the skills or experience required for this role.