IS A COVER LETTER POINTLESS?
I saw this post the other day written by a SEO, and it made me think…
“Having to write cover letters is so pointless. Do you really believe my dream ever since I was a little girl was to optimise SEO for a mid-level online publication? No. It was to ride a pony on a space rainbow.”
I mean…she’s got a point!
My dream as a little girl wasn’t to work at G2 Legal, it didn’t even exist then!
I wanted to be an Artist because I had a love for anything colourful as a child and I remember my Mum saying to me that I would make a bee line towards the art easel every morning when she dropped me off at nursery!
Now…. If you are going to attempt to write a cover letter, my advice for you from someone who’s viewed quite a few;
- Be generic - we can smell a generic cover letter a mile off! Shows real lack of intent from your side
- Start it with “Please find attached” or “I’m writing to apply” EVERYONE does that! Your goal is to be a standout job applicant
- Copy all the content that’s on your CV, it’s a pointless exercise!
- “Dear Sir/Madam” - try and find out the contact or address it to the Partner/Recruitment Team – this is something that your G2 Legal Consultant can help you with
- Link your reasons as to why you’re applying to the firm based on their values or mission statement Discuss your emotive/motivational reason - link/name drop articles or news publications featuring the firm or employees like the Partner/Head of Department
- Relate your achievements/career highlights to elements/outcomes of the role the firm are looking for
- Make sure you mention the firm name and role you’re applying to, it’ll look like a targeted cover letter rather than a, “one size fits all” cover letter.
As a Legal Recruiter, do I read every cover letter that’s sent… honestly… NO!
But sometimes if I’m struggling to shortlist based on the strong quality of applicants, a well written cover letter may sway me. But 99% of the time I’ve already decided that I want to progress/shortlist you based off of your CV and our initial conversation!
For more advice, please do not hesitate to contact us here at G2 Legal.
0131 278 0000